Monday, April 23, 2007

March 2006

By this point, my Nana's memory was beginning to noticeably impair her day to day interactions. Impulse control is another common sign of Alzheimer's disease.

March 1, 2006
Nana saw her doctor last week. He told her that she was fine and to come back in a year. She wheezes sometimes, but she has an inhaler that works pretty well. Each day seems to bring a new crisis. But so far we have managed. I was able to show her how to use the coffee maker today. We will have to see if she remembers tomorrow.

March 9, 2006 - an email from my cousin
Things with Nana are tough. Nana is definitely declining. There are signs of dementia and her eyesight is an issue. It makes her dependant and that makes her frustrated. She is also having impulse control issues (wants what she wants when she wants it) and it's getting more inappropriate (both with family and with others). But that's not unusual in someone 88 years old.

I've been trying to get my mother to put Nana (or at least talk to her about it) on an anti-dementia medication. I can't get her to understand that once Nana is bad enough to be an issue, it's too late.

No comments: